Mum-of-three died after undergoing weight loss surgery in Turkey

A mum from Oldham died after flying to Turkey for gastric sleeve surgery she ‘so desperately wanted and needed’, an inquest heard. Leanne Leary had an undiagnosed deep vein thrombosis which led to her having a heart attack on the operating table, the hearing was told. The 38-year-old was resuscitated and rushed to intensive care, but suffered a second fatal cardiac arrest the following afternoon on Sunday, July 2, 2023. Rochdale Coroners’ Court heard Ms Leary, a mum-of-three, had fallen on the stairs at work then complained of leg pains after going to Istanbul to watch Manchester City play in the Champions League final the month before her death. On her return to the UK she underwent tests for DVT, but they were inconclusive, the inquest heard. READ MORE: The murder of a boy out of his depth in an unforgiving world The compliance manager, from Hollinwood, told her friends she had a ‘small blood clot’ which didn’t require treatment. The inquest heard Ms Leary, who had asthma and pneumonia, originally booked the weight loss surgery in April to take place in October, but brought it forward to July while she was off work sick. She didn’t inform her parents of her plans to undergo the £2,000 operation for fear they would try to talk her out of it, nor did she discuss it with her GP. Ms Leary’s final text messages to her dad Paul Dermody as she was about to go into surgery on the morning of Saturday, July 1, were read out in court. “I didn’t want people to try put me off,” she wrote. “I need this for me and my health.” Mr Dermody told the court: “I said I fully support what you are doing, but I want to know where you are every step of the way before and after surgery.” Ms Leary’s mum Kathleen Scott said: “I would have 100 per cent talked her out of it. You have to think of the kids. But she felt like there was nothing to worry about because she so desperately needed and wanted this operation.” When, by the next morning, Ms Leary hadn’t responded to a number of texts her family began to worry. A friend who spoke Turkish contacted the hospital outside Istanbul and was told she had suffered a heart attack during surgery. Her parents caught the first flight to Istanbul, where they were met by an interpreter. But on their arrival at the hospital they were given the news that Ms Leary had died. A post mortem report gave the cause of death as a pulmonary embolism due to deep vein thrombosis. Pathologist Dr Sami Titi said it was likely the DVT was present before Ms Leary left the UK. Mr Dermody said he had concerns about the speed with which the operation had been arranged and the risks of people travelling abroad to undergo surgery. He also said it appeared the hospital hadn’t taken any next of kin details in case of an emergency. Area coroner Catherine McKenna recorded a conclusion that Ms Leary, who had a BMI of 47, had died of ‘recognised complications of an elective surgical procedure combined with underlying medical conditions’. Ms McKenna added: “This case underlines the importance of transparency when it comes to surgical procedures. It is imperative to anyone considering a procedure that, irrespective of how straightforward it may seem, all surgery carries risk. “It’s so important to discuss any surgery with one’s GP and that that surgeons carrying out the procedure are aware of one’s medical history.”

This content was originally published here.

Can't Get enough Freebie, Subscribe

We will send you the latest digital Marketing technology and methods that should help you grow your business.

Custom Keto Diet


All day slimming tea


ikaria Juice


Apple Cider Vinegar Ebook Membership