Ketogenic diets and the $33-billion diet gimmick.
The underlying theory that ketogenic diets have some sort of metabolic advantage, has been experimentally falsified. The keto diet’s proponents’ own studies showed the exact opposite: ketogenic diets actually put you at a metabolic disadvantage and slow the loss of body fat. How much does fat loss slow down on a low-carb diet?
New subscribers to our e-newsletter always receive a free gift. Get yours here: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
This is the 3rd installment of my keto series. In case you missed the first two, see Is Keto an Effective Cancer-Fighting Diet? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-Keto-an-Effective-Cancer-Fighting-Diet) and Keto Diet Theory Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/keto-diet-theory-put-to-the-test).
Coming up are:
• Is Weight Loss on Ketosis Sustainable? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-Weight-Loss-on-Ketosis-Sustainable)
• Are Keto Diets Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-keto-diets-safe)
• Keto Diets: Muscle Growth and Bone Density (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Keto-Diets-Muscle-Growth-and-Bone-Density)
• Does a Ketogenic Diet Help Diabetes or Make It Worse? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-a-ketogenic-diet-help-diabetes-or-make-it-worse)
This keto research arose out of my research for my upcoming new book How Not to Diet. (All proceeds I receive from my books is donated to charity.) You can preorder How Not to Diet here (https://nutritionfacts.org/how-not-to-diet/), but in the meantime please feel free to check out some of my popular weight loss videos:
• Eating More to Weigh Less (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eating-more-to-weigh-less)
• How to Prevent Prediabetes in Children (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-prediabetes-in-children/)
• Nutrient Dense Approach to Weight Management (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/nutrient-dense-approach-to-weight-management/)
• How Much Exercise to Sustain Weight Loss (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-exercise-to-sustain-weight-loss/)
• Keep Your Waist Circumference to Less than Half Your Height (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/keep-your-waist-circumference-to-less-than-half-your-height/)
• Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help with Weight Loss? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/apple-cider-vinegar-help-weight-loss/)
• Can Morbid Obesity Be Reversed through Diet? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/can-morbid-obesity-be-reversed-through-diet)
• The Weight Loss Program that Got Better with Time (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-weight-loss-program-that-got-better-with-time/)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/keto-diet-results-for-weight-loss and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/keto-diet-results-for-weight-loss. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.”
Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language: https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/hc/requests/new
To view the subtitles in transcript format, click on the ellipsis button below the video, choose “Open transcript”, and select the language you’d like to view them in.
Image credit: karandaev / adobe stock images
#ketodiet #keto #drgreger
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books: https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org
This content was originally published here.